Personal Development at West Lakes Academy encompasses Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) education and citizenship. It is a planned programme of learning opportunities and experiences that help young people grow and develop as individuals and as members of families and communities. PSHE Citizenship PD education supports children and young people to make informed decisions about their lives and communities. It deals with real life issues.
Students will study various units and carry out tasks which will require them to work individually, with a partner and in large groups. Students will be provided with the opportunity to carry out enquiries, plan, prepare, research and present their thoughts and opinions.
We work with a number of external agencies who support the delivery of Personal Development at West Lakes Academy, these include: The Police, The Citizens Advice Bureau, The Teenage Cancer Trust, The Know Project, The University of Cumbria and PFEG.
Key Stage 3
We cover a variety of topics during years 7 and 8, these include: Careers, Financial Management, Alcohol and Drug Awareness, Personal Safety, Healthy Eating, Healthy Living, Wellbeing, Relationships, Safe Sex, Government, the role of MPs and the electoral system, laws, rights and responsibilities and communities.
Key Stage 4
During key stage 4 students develop social, independence and work skills. Topics include Healthy Living, Preparation for Work, Environmental Awareness, Managing Own Money, Managing Social Relationships, Identity and Cultural Diversity, Individual Rights and Responsibilities, Community Action, Healthy Eating, Food Safety in the Home and Community, Your Money in the Future, Making the Most of Leisure Time and Parenting Awareness.
Students will complete a community challenge researched, planned and delivered independently.
- Connexions Direct
- Change 4 Life
- CBBC News
- Talk to Frank
- Alcohol Concern
- Drug Scope
- Disrespect nobody
Alcohol and Drugs
- Alcohol Education Trust – http://www.alcoholeducationtrust.org/parent-area/
- Drink Aware – https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/
- FRANK – http://www.talktofrank.com/
Careers and Finance
- Inspira – http://www.inspira.org.uk/
- Barclays Skills for life – for parents https://www.barclayslifeskills.com/parents/
Health and Wellbeing
- Brook – https://www.brook.org.uk/
- NHS Live well – http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/pages/livewellhub.aspx
- Mind – http://www.mind.org.uk/
- Young minds – http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_parents
- BEAT – https://www.b-eat.co.uk/
- Think you know – http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/11_13/
- Stonewall – http://www.stonewall.org.uk/