I am writing to you about some key information regarding English and mathematics and how you can further support at home with these two core subjects as we move in to final preparations for your son/daughter’s GCSE exams.
As you know, it is vital that students do well in these two subjects so that they are well prepared for their next stage post Year 11. All Sixth Forms, Apprenticeships and Colleges will all ask for your child’s grades in English and mathematics and as an academy we want to ensure that students are fully supported to do their best in these two areas.
Parent and child resources
I have sent an envelope home to you with some things enclosed. In this envelope please find a range of resources and tasks that you can use to support your child
- Poetry flashcards. Please use these to revise methods and the narratives of the poems
- New literature quotations and some blue tac for you to use at home
- Further intentions that link to the text your child has been studying
- An individual scheme of work – unique to your child’s class. This scheme of work highlights known areas of weakness and the topics your child is currently studying in school. Please talk with your child about these topics.
- An understanding content sheet – to help emphasize what a GCSE mathematics examination consists of and identifying the topics at the higher end of each examination.
- A need-to-know-formula sheet – with essential formulae your child needs to know for the exam.
- One-a-day sheets – one question per day for you and your child to go through each day (solutions are provided). This is in addition to the revision your child should already be doing. Just choose one question from the sheet of the relevant week per day. Each question should take no more than five minutes. Check your answer with the solutions provided.
March mock exam period
We have another round of English and mathematics mock exams during the week beginning 4th March 2019. Please contact the following Heads of Departments/ Key Stage Coordinators if you would like any further advice or support:
Miss Capstick – Head of English email@example.com
Miss Starkie – KS4 Coordinator English firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Moss – Head of mathematics email@example.com
Mr Bonney – KS4 Coordinator mathematics firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or queries about provision in English or mathematics, please do not hesitate to contact me at the academy on 01946 820356 or on my email address email@example.com
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support.
Miss M Relph