Increasingly personalised learning within a safe and positive environment will ensure all young people are equipped for the challenges and opportunities of adult life in the 21st century. Moreover our students will develop the capacity to contribute to building a strong and vibrant community.
Our ethos is based on high aspirations, expectations and achievements.
- The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan)
- Sellafield Ltd
- The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)
The role of the sponsors is to support West Lakes Academy as an outstanding place of education with an inclusive ethos that promotes tolerance and respect for others. The sponsors’ expectations are that students will develop into citizens who actively contribute towards the building of cohesive and peaceful communities and are able to represent themselves confidently in all aspects of public life.
The academy will:
- Significantly raise educational standards above local and national levels.
- Raise student aspirations and launch them into further and higher education or onto career paths that will realise their full potential and exceed expectations.
- Promote and nurture community cohesion.
- Involve and work in collaboration with key stakeholders, partners and the community.
- Ensure that key stakeholder groups are represented on the Board of Governors, including parents/carers, staff and the local authority.
- Ensure that members of the academy staff and all those who contribute to academy activities are positive role models for students.
- Provide a programme of high continual quality professional development (CPD) and training for all members of staff to underpin and sustain improvements in the core functions of the academy.
The academy will seek to promote the following values:
- Hard work
- Respect for people and property
- Trust and fairness
- Tolerance and compassion
- Politeness and courtesy
- Independence and resourcefulness
- Caring for others
- Caring for the environment
- RESPECT – we will treat everyone with respect and tolerate everyone for what they choose to do and believe in.
- RESILIENCE – we will push ourselves, be determined and keep going in the face of challenges.
- APPRECIATION – we will appreciate the opportunities and experiences that come our way, be outgoing and cherish life.
- FREEDOM – we will be aware of our rights as a human being but respect and act on the responsibility that comes with those rights.
- ACHIEVEMENT– we will strive and have purpose and we will achieve. We will, all of us, succeed.
Any prejudice, discrimination or extremist views, including derogatory language, displayed by pupils, staff, visitors or parents will always be challenged and, where appropriate, dealt with. Where misconduct by a teacher is proven, the matter will be referred to the National College for Teaching and Leadership for their consideration. Misconduct by other staff will be dealt with under normal school disciplinary procedures.
We encourage pupils to respect the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect, and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. We ensure that partisan political views are not promoted in the teaching of any subject in the school and where political issues are brought to the attention of the pupils, reasonably practicable steps are taken to offer a balanced presentation of opposing views to pupils.
For more information about how West Lakes Academy promotes British values please visit our Promoting British Values page.